Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Classes have begun...

Classes started on Monday and I have mixed feelings about them.  Econ is going to be really easy and actually fun.  The professor has a great sense of humor and is easy to understand.  Sometimes people speak really really fast, and I cannot understand them with their thick accent.  Biology should be interesting.  It seems as if it will be easy.  On the first day of class though we took an exam to see what type of "basic" biology knowledge we have.
Here are some of the questions:

How many liters of milk does a female alligator produce daily?

Name a mammal that lays eggs.

Is a Great White Shark a mammal or a fish?

Why don't polar bears eat penguins? (My answer was simply because they don't taste good).

If this is basic knowledge, I am a little behind in class already I believe.

I will probably not return to the states after this semester because of Organic Chemistry.  I assume by the middle of the semester I will be in a insane asylum diagnosed as a psycho person.  This class seems impossible in the states, but try to take it in a foreign country where the professor thinks it's a good idea to speak both Afrikaans and English.  She apparently says the important things in English and just side comments in Afrikaans.  It's a great, fun class where I will have a test every Monday morning at 8. Yee-haw.

I also have an HIV/AIDS class that begins tomorrow.  That is an international class so I am hoping that they speak English and English only.

An interesting tidbit that I have been getting a lot: Apparently Americans don't speak English. We speak American.  People here have told me that we basically have our own language in America and it is not English.  Very interesting and sort of true.

I am still trying to find a memory card reader to post pictures.  I promise they will come soon.

Wish me luck in O Chem,
kCl

1 comment:

  1. Hi Katie,
    Hope your classes are going well and you are adjusting to your new environment. I am sure you have met many interesting people and gone to great places already. Think of Max and Emily at DAAP and know your life is much more exciting right now. I do wish you luck in O Chem because I know I would need a miracle to accomplish it unlike yourself. You will do fine. We are praying and thinking about you.
    Amy Bischoff

    ReplyDelete