Friday, July 5, 2013

Zimbabwe: Gorgeous but shocking at the same time

ZIMBABWE

Day 19:
After paying $50 to cross into Zimbabwe, we were immediately stopped by the police.  They have checkpoints basically everywhere to get as much money as possible from anyone, for any reason.  They said that we needed reflection lights on the top of the back of our truck.  This truck has been to Zimbabwe several times and there has not been an issue with that yet.  The police wanted to fine us $50  and they wanted the money there.  Hofni, our guide, told them that he would pay the fine in town as the police men would just pocket the money and rip up the ticket.  After that little fiasco, we went to the town of Victoria Falls.  We immediately went to visit the actual falls.  Victoria Falls is 1,700 meters wide and 108 meters high.  Technically, Niagara Falls is larger based on the volume of water, but Vic Falls is about three times as wide and as tall.  Because of the vast difference in size, Vic Falls seemed much larger to me.  The falls themselves were amazing and powerful.  We chose to not purchase a poncho to protect ourselves from the "mist".  We underestimated the power of these falls however and came back totally drenched.  It was much, much more than a simple mist.  The unusual form of the falls enables virtually the whole width of the falls to be viewed face-on at the same level as the top, from as close as about 60 meters.  The Zambezi River (below the falls) drops into a deep, narrow slot-like chasm, connected to a long series of gorges.  This river separates Zimbabwe (to the west) from Zambia (to the east).  A popular activity in this river is white water rafting.  I was glad that I did not partake in this though.  The people that went from our group were flipped twice in their boat, and some people were trapped under the boat for a short period.  After viewing the falls and being chased by mother baboons (with their babies) at the falls, we went to our Adventure Lodge for the night.  There was a very inexpensive "spa" at our lodge and I took full advantage of it.  I was caked in dirt from this trip and I don't think my feet or hands have ever been that dirty in my life.  My pores were super clogged with dirt and my body ached from the "African massage".  My princess came out in me and I received a manicure, pedicure, facial, and massage.  The woman that worked on me had magical hands.  After pampering and a shower, we went to Mama Africa in the town for a final group dinner.  I had very succulent pork for dinner with a traditional mushroom soup.  There were African dancers performing and Alex, Melodi, Katie, and myself were pulled up to dance with them.  That night I had a wonderful sleep in a REAL BED!!!
Melodi, Lindsay, and David at Mama Africa for dinner

Katie^2 and Ally at Mama Africa.

Dancing with the performers.

The whole group! 


Day 20:
After collecting our trade goods for the famous Zimbabwe market, we made our way towards the chaos it has to offer.  In my trade bag I had my sleeping bag, a towel, blanket, sweatshirt, water bottle, and a few other various clothing items.  I had my eye set on a beautiful, carved, wooden chess set from the previous day.  And no, I do not know how to play chess.  I planned on getting it because it would look very pretty in our living room.  We were accosted from the minute we set foot out of our lodge.  Everyone knew that we were going towards the market with our stuff and everyone wanted to trade with us.  Once we finally made it down to the actual market, I found the most amazing circular chess set.  This particular chess set took Ignatius, the gentleman's name who sold it to me, two weeks to carve the board and three weeks to carve all of the pieces.  The pieces all fit snug inside of the board when you fold it in half.  I traded all I had for the board and was very pleased with my bartering skills.  While waiting for the rest of our friend group to finish their bartering, I saw a pair of salad utensils that I really wanted.  I decided that I was going to trade my hot pink watch that had a large scratch in the face.  At first, this guy was not willing to part with them for this watch, but I then walked away and said I would not give anything additional for them.  He then walked over and found me and traded them for the watch.  He put the watch on and seemed pleased.  I think he really liked me because he walked over and gave me a necklace for free along with his phone number, address, email address, and Facebook name.  I also got two other phone numbers while there and several guys wanted me to take a picture with them.  It was quite comical.  These guys were all swaged out in what looked like American gear, presumably from other tourists trading their goods.  After walking through stores where we did not have the stress of bartering, Lindsay and I had to say our goodbyes to Melodi as she was going back to Sweden.  Katie and Ally met up with us in Cape Town.  They took a bus back to Jo'burgh and we took a plane.  After eating at an absolutely delicious Spanish tapas place, we went back to our lodge.  I might of indulged on another massage and a full body scrub (my body was still dirty!!)… Lindsay and I then moved from the Adventure Lodge to the Rainbow Resort for the night.  We went to the pool and enjoyed pool side drinks from the swim up bar.  We then walked to the Shoestring Hostel where the rest of our group (who had not already left Zimbabwe) for dinner.  We ended up going to the Tapas place again!! It was soooo good!!  We then said our goodbyes to everyone, as we were leaving early the next morning.
The guy that made my chess set.  The bundle he is holding is my chess set, not a bundle of cocaine like Ben thought it was.

Day 21:
After an amazing breakfast at our hotel, we went into town for our last time.  We made some last minute purchases then made our way to Vic Falls Airport.  The airport was super tiny and really crowded.  There are two flights out of there a day and they are both back to back in early afternoon.  Customs and security went super fast though and smoothly.  We browsed through the small shops and enjoyed hot tea while waiting for our plane.  We were sad to be leaving Zimbabwe, but we realized that we were returning to the beautiful country of South Africa so we quickly got over it.  After a quick stop in Jo'Burgh, we got into Cape Town at 8:30 pm and waited for Ally and Katie, who got in at 9:30, to carpool back with them to Stellenbosch.  I don't think I have ever been that happy in my life to be in my tiny little bed in my tiny flat.  This was a trip of a lifetime, and I am so thankful that my parents sent me on it.  I would have been really missing out if I did not go.  Although, it has been about a week since I have been home and I am still feeling the effects from this trip.  My body is still on the early to bed- early to rise schedule.
Enjoying tea and playing endless games of MASH, hangman, and tic-tac-toe.

One side of the airport...

The other side of the airport.

Sad Lindsay

Sad little girls on the plane :( 

Like I said in the last post, Lindsay and I are currently in Cape Town.  We are here enjoying this city with David from our trip.  I have to say goodbye to Lindsay in a couple of days (which is very sad), but I get to say hello to my family!!

I hope you enjoyed my journey through Southern Africa!

Cheers,
kCl

No comments:

Post a Comment